Monday, January 17, 2011

Steadfast Mama.



     Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)



       Being a stay at home mom is no easy feat; in fact most days it's not as fabulous as I imagined when I first entertained the fantasy of staying home with my perfect child, perfect hair, and perfect home. I'm pretty sure my fabulous fantasies were induced by all the extra pregnancy hormones.  In reality, it's a job that's in motion 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...let's not mention for the duration of at least 18 years. 
     There's no one in which we can hand our two weeks notice, and when a dead line hits, it's up to us to make it or break it. Piles of laundry call our name daily, while the kitchen sink fills up at least four times a day demanding our attention to wash them. Then there's kid duty, entertaining, teaching, time outs, breaking up fights, and teaching moments. There have been many moments when I catch myself in the mirror after a particularly engaging battle with my toddlers when I question if it's all worth it. Is all my labor in vain? Does what I do matter? My answer is YES, it matters to God. He cares more than you could ever imagine over your frustrations and trials as a Mom!
        How do I remain steadfast and immovable for my children? What's the point of discipline when the little ones repeat the same offense day after day, sometimes minute and after minute and not give up? It's my mind set. Each morning before I get out of bed, I send up a prayer asking God for the strength and wisdom to parent and to get my check list done. My prayer is generally something like this, "Father God, I know You see me down here.(Elijah, Mommy is talking to God, you need to wait for your juice.) You know my temper, and the ability my kids have to push my buttons.  (I'm...just a sec God, gotta get Tori's poopy diaper changed), I'm committing this day to You and I ask that Your presence is with me throughout the day. Help me to live in the moment and impact my kids for You...(No, Elijah you may NOT play the Wii or use the remotes for swords before 7:00 a.m.) Let the little things like hugs and kind words make an impression on their hearts today. Please Lord, help me to not strangle them today....and help me to view my household work that I despise as a pleasing offering to You. Amen."
        The work of raising well rounded society minded, Christ centered kids is HUGE. And very often I don't see the results of my efforts for months to come. In the mean time I know that God is with me, He sees all that I'm doing which amps up my efforts in being a good mom today.
     What do you struggle with as a mom?
      When you feel like you are laboring in vain, is it hard for you to believe that God is willing to give you the strength to go on?
       Share your comments please!

7 comments:

  1. Reminder ladies to leave a comment and commit this verse to memory for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this post and again, so pleased to have come across your blog. You write so beautifully...I certainly identify with this blog, I was just telling my husband yesterday how I wash dishes at least five times a day.

    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  3. These words ring so true in my life. But in all reality I'm living my dream, something I never thought I would be able to do - be a stay-at-home mom. I am so grateful for this opportunity. But it does come with so many challenges. I, like Heather, despise the household chores. Maybe someday God will change me in to a neat freak but today I am far from it. Yes, we sacrifice a lot for me to stay home, but it is all monetary stuff that we don't need. What is truly needed is me as a mom in my childrens' lives. I'm so glad we are able to give that to them. Only by the grace of God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a working mom who has recently been a stay-at-home mom, I don't think you could have written this any better. This was my prayer too...and still is, even though I am once again throwing work into the mix. I think no matter what fills our days, the best way we could start them is with a prayer like this one. When I do it, it certainly helps me to keeps things in perspective, and to remember what aspects of my day are the most important. Thanks for the wonderful reminder!

    BTW - I found your blog through Twitter tonight. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and oh so true! We must keep in mind that our family is our ministry and even the most simplest thing like laundry is a service to them, and to our Lord.
    Please visit my blog at www.hudsonfive.wordpress.com
    I had a post similar entitled "Do Not Grow Weary"
    Glad I found this and good luck on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,

    As a fellow SAHM, I appreciated this blog post. SAHM's don't get sick days or paid vacation... And our kids may not appreciate our sacrifices fully until many years from now. My oldest is 7 and he is a dream. He serves as a reminder to me that hard work, patience, and lots of love WILL eventually pay off with my littler one.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again ladies, thank you so much for your comments, being a SAHM is no easy feat. As the new year rings in, I am pondering what this year will hold as my kids grow up just a bit more each day. Yes, the laundry and dishes are still piled up :0)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...