Friday, October 7, 2011

Fearfully Made is Caught--Not Taught.

     How did we learn about life, friends, and the world when we were little? Most of the stuff I remember from childhood was caught per say, not taught. I don't remember much from textbooks, lectures, or tests. The lessons I learned were walked out in front of me via teachers, peers, and my parents. Lately, I have been trying to teach my daughter about courage, confidence, and strength. All of course deal with the insecurities of being a gangly, 5 foot 7 inch tall, puberty induced teenage girl.
     Do you remember those days? Ugh,I feel like it was yesterday. I remember feeling like I didn't fit in, like I was the bean pole ,white haired freak of my nearly all Mexican school. The teasing and bullying left scars that I still deal with today. For goodness sake, I was nicknamed, 'Heather, the albino reindeer', amongst my Arizona-Mexican boarder classmates...  
    Even being 30, I sometimes have to deal with my insecurities--like feeling left out, not fitting in, thinking I'm not as cool as the next mom; it all leads me back to my identity in Christ. As I walk these incredibly trying moments out in front of my sixth grader; I am making sure she sees that I stand on God's promises of who I am. I am the daughter of a King, an Heir to His throne, a masterpiece, despite what my feelings tell me. Feelings and perceptions falter and change from one moment to the next; God's word is constant and has been proven as truth for thousands of years. His Word also breathes life into me each and every time I read and accept it! Acceptance is the key here, I can accept what this world tells me as truth, or I can see the truth through God's eyes.
    When the truth is accepted in my heart, another small transformation begins. Most of the time I don't see it or sense it, but Cheyenne does. I pray she learns in her heart who she is in Christ and not what this fading world tells her; for she is fearfully and wonderfully made.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. Psalm 139:13-14.


1 comment:

  1. How do you deal with your insecurities? Do you believe that you are God's masterpiece?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...