Sunday, January 2, 2011

Resolution Solutions...For You & the Kids

            So you've read through my previous posts and questioned if my tone would lighten up a little. After reflecting on the events of this past year and creating resolutions for myself; I'm much more light hearted now that I have plans and goals in place. My kids have noticed my lighter mood as well as the buzz words for resolutions, asking non stop questions. So what about your little ones? Resolutions can be a fun way to get your kids on board to making some much needed changes, instead of you reminding them twice a day for the same offense for the next 365 days right?
    We sat down with our children ages 11, 4, 2, and defined resolutions and brought in a Biblical perspective.
  • I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13 (NIV).
  • Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 2nd Corinthians 5:17 (NIV).
  • Forget about what's happened; don't keep going over old history.Be alert, be present. I'm about to do something brand-new. It's bursting out! Don't you see it?There it is! I'm making a road through the desert, rivers in the badlands.  Isaiah 43:18-19 (The Message).

Cheyenne who understood it the most resolved to 1) turn in all assignments on time, 2) write daily in her prayer journal, 3) read through her Bible in a year with mom and dad.
Elijah resolved to 1)not fart at the table and laugh about it, 2) not hit his sisters.
Tori (With help from Mommy) will learn to go potty on the potty!

Below is a list of fun age appropriate resolutions from the American Academy of Pediatrics and of course a few of my Biblical based ideas thrown in here and there. Reply to this post if you and your kids took the challenge and tell us what all of your resolutions were!

21 HEALTHY NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS FOR KIDS
Preschoolers
•I will clean up my toys and put them where they belong.
•I will brush my teeth twice a day, and wash my hands after going to the bathroom and before eating.
•I will obey my mom and dad.
  • I will pray to Jesus for all my needs, at morning and at night.

Kids, 5- to 12-years-olds
•I will drink 2% milk and water three times each day, and limit soda and fruit drinks to once each day.
•I will apply sunscreen before I go outdoors on bright sunny days. I will try to stay in the shade whenever possible and wear a hat and sunglasses, especially when I’m playing sports.
•I will try to find a sport (like basketball or soccer) or an activity (like playing tag, jumping rope, dancing or riding my bike) that I like and do it at least three times a week!
•I will always wear a helmet when bicycling.
•I will wear my seat belt every time I get in a car. I’ll sit in the back seat and use a booster seat until I am tall enough to use a lap/shoulder seat belt.
•I’ll be nice to other kids. I’ll be friendly to kids who need friends – like someone who is shy, or is new to my school.
•I’ll never give out personal information such as my name, home address, school name or telephone number on the Internet. Also, I’ll never send a picture of myself to someone I chat with on the computer without my parent’s permission.


Kids, 13-years-old and up


•I will eat at least one fruit and one vegetable every day, and I will limit the amount of soda I drink to one glass daily.
•I will take care of my body through physical activity and nutrition.
•I will choose non-violent television shows and video games, and I will spend only one to two hours each day – at the most – on these activities.
•I will help out in my community – through volunteering, working with community groups or by joining a group that helps people in need.
  • I will try different groups and project, using my giftings and see where God wants me.
•When I feel angry or stressed out, I will take a break and find constructive ways to deal with the stress, such as exercising, reading, writing in a journal or discussing my problem with a parent or friend.
•When faced with a difficult decision, I will talk about my choices with an adult whom I can trust.
  • I will pray to God about my difficult decision and wait to hear His voice before making a choice.
•When I notice my friends are struggling or engaging in risky behaviors, I will talk with a trusted adult and attempt to find a way that I can help them.
  • I will surround myself with Christ centered friends and those who are not, I will be the light and stand my ground in values and morals.
•I will be careful about whom I choose to date, and always treat the other person with respect and without coercion or violence. I will expect the same good behavior in return.
•I will resist peer pressure to try drugs and alcohol.
  • I will stay pure from all things that are not what God wants from me.
•I agree not to use a cell phone or text message while driving and to always use a seat belt.

    3 comments:

    1. HI there :) I am following yo on Networked Blogs now! Stopping by from Bloggy Moms!
      Take care,
      Tracy @ www.havingfunsaving.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. I Love how you sat down and included the kids in your Resolutions as I thought my son might be too little but from your post I see he is not and so I am going to sit down with my Hubby and what changes and resolutions we need to make and include our son so hopefully our year will be less chaotic.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks for the comments, will be getting to your blogs tomorrow to sign up!
      @Glenda, that is so awesome to hear what you are going to do with your son!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...