Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Take Those "Be Beautiful, Skinny, Young Ad's and Shove it!

  


    "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength"...was the repeating thought as I continued to push through the burn in my muscles. Running on the treadmill is my least favorite thing some mornings. I'd rather be automatically skinny with a perfect body. As far as I know, unless I have access to a personal trainer, get lipo suction monthly, and work out 6 hours a day, I won't look like a celebrity...As a woman living in America, youth and beauty is shoved down my throat on a minute by minute basis. If it's not some commercial on T.V. or ad on the radio, then it's competing with other women, or the front covers of magazines. No matter what, being voluptuous, thin, and desirable is the message I heard loud and clear. 
    I've decided I really don't give a flying leap to what society tells me to be these days. I'm sick of the skinny and 'be youthful' messages. I'm currently boycotting the youthful appearance crud (mainly because I'll be 30 this year and it's time to stop caring about it so much) I want to exercise for me, I want to feel good about myself. I want to maintain this body so I can keep up with my kids, in short, I want to be healthy (and fit back into all my jeans, somehow my metabolism has taken a vacation, PERMANENTLY). 
    Besides the fact I can't afford to buy an entire new wardrobe, exercising is another way of demonstrating discipline and self esteem to my daughters. It's a chance to teach defiance to what society is telling us as females. Growing up female is hard enough with all the message we hear, the least I can do is teach them to love themselves and embrace how God created them. 
    So what about you, are sick of the youthful, be a size 0 messages we hear? Are you insecure about your size? How are you demonstrating health for your daughters? Love to hear from you.

4 comments:

  1. If you are having difficulty leaving comments, please D.M. me @ riggleman5@gmail.com. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not surprisingly, we're at that same stage of life. It's hard when you're a mom about to turn 30 and struggling with self image. Especially when you live in a world that wants to push impractical things like staying young forever.I can so relate to insecurity over size. One thing I know for certain...that size 0 thing, yeah, not gonna happen! Size 8 maybe one day. I'd like to think it could be on the horizon. Not holding my breath. In all truth, though, I do want to get a better hold on living healthy for my kiddos benefit as well as my own. It's a baby steps thing though, which produces small results and major set-backs. Something that's especially hard for a push-button results gall like myself to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO nice to know I'm not alone. I'll be 32 this year and I definitely struggle with self image. I have struggled most of my life with weight and self image.....being a woman is hard... Thanks for sharing this. I want to be healthy for the very same reasons as you. Not because someone is telling me I'm not pretty unless I'm a size 0. Which I NEVER will be......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer and Melissa, You've nailed it right on the head. There is something that builds fear within us as we age and grow softer with time. I want to be healthy and know exactly where that line is between health and vanity. Good comments!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...