Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Simply Summer Through the Eyes of My Kids


     How has your summer been going? Mine has been flying by. This is the first year as a mother of preschoolers that I'm really enjoying it. Sleeping in, making late breakfast, hollering at the kiddos to pick the laundry and toys off the floor before loading them up for an adventure. We head either to the children's museum or water park, I have them line up to slather on the sunblock before slapping their tushie to head off and play. I then grab my coke and sit on a bench watching their little faces light up with joy as they run to freedom!
    Summer is easier now that my kids are older, they have feed and water themselves if you know what I mean. Plus they don't need my help to go potty and can clearly communicate their needs. I almost miss the early stages of mothering...almost. It used to take nearly an hour to prep the kiddos and myself to get out the door. Did I pack enough diapers, snacks, change of clothes, bottles, sippy's, and security blankets? What about the stroller? Will we have enough time before it's time for morning nap and lunch? What about wipes, where are the wipes? By the time we got to our destination, someone would burst into tears about something and the trip wasn't so fun. 
This summer has been pure bliss (minus the constant battles between my younger two). I've been able to see how beautiful, hot sticky days are through my childrens' eyes. They've taught me the anticipation of meeting friends for a walk. The excitement of catching hundreds of fireflies. I've experienced the sweetness a cold popsicle as it melts on our faces while we sit on our front porch. Now that they are a bit older, we've had even more exciting adventures from riding Daddy's motorcycle at dusk, and catching bluegill at the lake. 
   Simple summer days are best spent looking at the world through the eyes of a child. I think that's why children are a part of God's plan. They have a way of teaching us to be young again, to experience the world as He created--full of adventure and joy. 
   If you're a mom of toddlers and babies, I promise you it gets better. You won't worry so much how summer could interfere with your baby's routine. Soon you'll be out in the summer air, running along side your kids enjoying every sweet moment. 
What do you look forward to during the summer season? What is your favorite part about mothering during this hot, sun-filled time of the year?
     

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! I'm reading your post on the last day of "vacation" with my kids. I can completely relate to what you've said about mothering preschoolers. We had one daughter and God decided to wait 7 1/2 years before giving us her brother and then a sister, so we are doing the preschool thing all over again! And you're right: it is hard, but it does get better. :)

    I love the relaxed schedule during the summer, drippy Popsicle faces, exploring for roly-poly bugs, and lots of fun in the water. God's beauty is everywhere!

    Thank you for the encouraging post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a follower from the MBC. :) Best Regards! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...