Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Snack Ideas and New Years Resolutions

    It’s that time of the year again. 
     You know what I’m talking about, your sweatpants agree with me, diet time! Swim suit season is only six months away, so we have plenty of time to start this New Year’s resolutions. Instead of dieting, let’s look at some ways that we can start shedding the pounds by making life style changes, starting with what we feed our kids.
    If you’re anything like me, your kids drive your bonkers most days and you eat snacks that aren’t the healthiest, and let’s not mention portion control. Most days I’m grazing off their plates or eating right out of the snack boxes. My kids are picking up on these habits too, not such a good thing, if we all want to eat healthier. So here are a few ideas!

Independent Grazers
My Tupperware bowl, you can add raisins, pretzels, whole
wheat crackers, oreos, etc in snack bags too!
    Kids between the ages of 2 and 101 like to have control. They begin developing a sense of independence the moment they take their first breathe; at around two they really like to tell us, they can do things themselves, so why not let them develop a keen edge on portion control? My kids are grazers and very independent. So each time I go to the grocery store, I purchase a variety of healthy snacks and some not so healthy snacks. When I get home, I put the serving into snack bags and throw it all into the bowl. It sits in the bottom of my pantry where they can grab a snack when they want.
This also goes the same for my refrigerator. I have apples, cuties, whole and some in baggies with a little bit of lemon juice, sitting in my crisper drawer.
This idea is great to not only help give them independence, teach proper portions, but it’s great when you’re in the run to the next dance recital or park. Just grab a few bags and go!

Lunch Time
Lunch time is another area where we tend to get stuck in a rut, either we think our kids won’t eat it, or we are tired of the choices we have. So make the choices you have fun and visit one of my favorite sites that my friend Stacy directed me to, www.superhealthykids.com.  Here is what I do for lunch because my kids like it simple.
Elijah’s green tray with snowman turkey, star whole wheat bread and string cheese. 

Fun lunch with snowman and start cookie cutters, the kids can help create the shapes.

Okay I had to add the pink tray picture, per Tori's request, She didn't think it was fair to  upload just her brother's!

RECAP
1. Purchase snacks and snack baggies.
2. Read the labels of your snacks and scoop the measured portion into baggies.
3. For fresh fruit, make a few bags ahead of time, wash and slice, add a squeeze of lemon juice.
4. Designate an area in your pantry for your kids and a drawer in your fridge. 
5. Less whining and hearing "I'm hungry" from your child, and they are learning the proper portions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...